Byland Abbey 2013
Byland Abbey in Yorkshire was founded in the year 1135 in the town of Calder. Throughout its early history the abbey was re-located a number of times until 1177 when it was re-located to its present position in New Byland. At this point in time Byland Abbey, along with Rievaulx Abbey, was one of the largest spiritual centres in the region. In 1538 the abbey was abandoned and in 1539 the sites was granted to Sir William Pickering.
The ruins are extremely impressive, with the lower part of a huge window rose in the facade and magnificent, well-preserved ceramic flooring.